Sunday, April 24, 2005

66th Place

Well, I'm out of the WPBT WSOP Satellite in 66th place.

I think I have somewhere along the way missed out on something: the art of chasing draws aggressively. In the 33 minutes I played, there were two big hands at my table in which the aggressors were chasing flush draws.

My exit hand went something like this:

Seat 1: phlyersphan (1450 in chips)
Seat 2: hdouble (3457 in chips)
Seat 3: Ankhorahil (280 in chips)
Seat 4: Bugsy 99 (1115 in chips)
Seat 6: DnkyPnchr74 (995 in chips)
Seat 7: misterd2u (2310 in chips)
Seat 8: Grasp (1630 in chips)
Seat 9: TripJax (2263 in chips)
TripJax: posts small blind 15
phlyersphan: posts big blind 30
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to phlyersphan [As 7h]
hdouble: folds
Ankhorahil: folds
Bugsy 99: folds
DnkyPnchr74: folds
misterd2u: calls 30
Grasp: folds
TripJax: calls 15
phlyersphan: checks
*** FLOP *** [3s 8c 7c]
TripJax: checks
phlyersphan: bets 60
misterd2u: raises 60 to 120
TripJax: folds
phlyersphan: calls 60
*** TURN *** [3s 8c 7c] [Ah]
phlyersphan: bets 120
misterd2u: raises 120 to 240
phlyersphan: calls 120
*** RIVER *** [3s 8c 7c Ah] [4c]
phlyersphan: bets 250
misterd2u: raises 560 to 810
phlyersphan: raises 250 to 1060 and is all-in
misterd2u: calls 250
*** SHOW DOWN ***
phlyersphan: shows [As 7h] (two pair, Aces and Sevens)
misterd2u: shows [Ac 3c] (a flush, Ace high)
misterd2u collected 2930 from pot
I think I'd play the hand the same way again if the situation arose, but I definitely don't quite "get" the raising with draws. There's the mantra to "bet your draws hard," and I guess raising bets with them is just taking that mantra one step further on the aggression scale. In this case, the raise on the turn made sense, as it was the card that hit two pair for my opponent. I was just unlucky to run into that flush.

Damn it.

Oh well. I'll just have to win enough money off the fishes on Full Tilt to buy my way into the WSOP tourney. LOL!

5 Comments:

  1. Uwannabet? said...
    I would not really consider that hand "chasing a draw" since on the flop we both had a pair, on the turn we both had 2pr. I would consider "chasing a draw" having no hand, and then looking for that one miracle card to make your hand. The only added difference is that I had an additional 9 cards that made my hand the nuts.

    In retrospect it was unlucky to run into the flush, otherwise we trade places. I'm not trying to be a jerk, but there is a major difference between "chasing" a hand & betting with a hand that has additional power. Bottom line I DID get lucky that the club fell on the river, otherwise A-7 vs A-3

    No ill will right?
    StB said...
    I don't think he chased his draw. The raise on the flop is a bet to see where he is. On the turn, he has two pair and believes he is ahead.

    Then again, I think I finished 70th on a really stupid play so what do I know.

    At least there is always next time.
    Shelly said...
    No ill will at all - I don't think I'd have even thought it an extreme play if it weren't for that earlier play where the flush draw chaser hadn't risked nearly his entire stack on the draw.

    And, the lesson for me here is really to not expect people to play the way I play; I'm very likely to lay down bottom pair and a draw in the face of any opposition, but that may be a bit too conservative. But it surprises me nonetheless when comparing how others play to how I play.

    It wasn't a bad play, and I certainly didn't bet enough on the flop to hurt your pot odds against drawing for the flush.
    SirFWALGMan said...
    Ya, I gotta agree with UWANNA. He had bottom pair, but he wanted to see where you were. He also could have (and probably did) have you think for a minute about him having an overpair or something. He possible could have won the pot there. Especially if he thought you were bluffing or drawing to the flush. When you both hit 2 pair, neither one of you is going to drop this hand. The river is a lucky club for him, but not alot if any chasing going on there..
    TripJax said...
    Sup Shelly,

    Like your blog...glad I found it. That's the best part of these tournaments...being able to meet up with folks. My biggest win of the night was when I took out two players when my flush draw filled. T'iz a part of the game...just finding the right place and time to fight your battles is key. I try not to get into a battle while drawing with anyone who has close to or more than my chip amount. When I won that hand I had enough to risk...

    Good luck in the future and look forward to seeing you on the felt. I'll link you up this week.

    Thanks
    TripJax
    Poker In Arrears

Post a Comment