Wednesday, February 09, 2005

Thanks, G-Rob

G-Rob wrote a post today that I swear speaks directly to the feelings I've been experiencing lately with online poker. (Thanks, btw, to everyone who has posted comments on my previous post. The encouragement is uplifting and the advice never fails to give me better perspective on things).

A blurb from G-Rob's post:

Keep in mind we're SUPPOSED to pay for training. I paid thousands for college and slaved away at a few micro-limit jobs before I finally hit a good career pot. I think poker works the same. Some of us are buying and education while we whittle through the required text. We're fixated on those winning players and determined to find success.
I've honestly never thought of playing poker that way, and WOW - it's like a revelation.

Why is it that even though I know I'm new to the game (been playing a year or so), I still expect to be profitable? Doesn't it make sense that time spent in the learning curve would, by nature, be unprofitable time?

It's just something I've never really thought about, and I'm seeing my online losses in a whole new light. I've definitely got some work to do at adapting my game to the online arena. It seems that my natural game is a live game.

I'm OK with that, and I'm confident that I can learn the things I need to learn to become a profitable player online. I'm not looking to make the mortgage payment with my winnings here... just enough to have online poker pay for itself, and maybe a little extra here and there :)

Thanks, G-Rob!!!

3 Comments:

  1. Human Head said...
    Agreed, it was a great post. In the process of internalizing it, I'm hoping that it eases up my risk-aversedness. I also have no doubt that sooner rather than later you'll be profitable. Once those one or two little crucial adjustments come into the light...WHAMMY!..you're bankroll is growing.
    Anonymous said...
    LoL!

    You're welcome.

    That said, be careful with the limits you play.
    Stay small and don't try to shoot big to build your bankroll. That's the fastest path tp wipeout.
    You'd fail PHI 450 if you skipped the intro to philosophy class.

    G-Rob
    Anonymous said...
    It's been a looooong slow road for me in terms of bulding my bankroll online - I had to stop comparing my progress (or lack of it) to others and realize that my learning curve and my pace were my own... lol. Baby-steps.

Post a Comment